Monday, January 12, 2009

Sales Managers Post Your Sales Results Conspicuously

Writen by Dr. Gary S. Goodman

There is nothing quite like peer pressure to make a sales force manage itself.

How can you unleash people's competitiveness?

One of the simplest and best ways is by posting sales results in places where everybody can see them.

Web sites are great for this purpose, because they can be updated, continuously.

When you post sales results you make every day a contest, a race. People compare themselves, and evaluate their own stature relative to others.

I've used this "silent motivator" for years with great success, and right now, as a producer of articles, I'm being motivated this way by one of the Ezine sites where I post my efforts.

This site delivers several interesting statistics to writers and to readers. One of the most significant is the number of articles posted.

I can see, today for instance, my 766 articles put me in the number five slot out of more than 28,500 writers. I'm about 30 ahead of the next guy, and about 150 behind number four.

I know EXACTLY where I stand.

The publisher, like a sales manager, doesn't have to do anything to keep me grinding out articles but to continue posting these figures.

There is an adage that says the best management is self-management. When a sales manager can use little devices like performance postings to goad his people on, other methods seem wasteful and primitive, by comparison.

Dr. Gary S. Goodman is the best-selling author of 12 books, over 750 articles, and the creator of numerous audio and video training programs, including "The Law of Large Numbers: How To Make Success Inevitable," published by Nightingale-Conant-a favorite among salespeople and entrepreneurs. For information about booking Gary to speak at your next sales, customer service or management meeting, conference or convention, please address your inquiry to: gary@customersatisfaction.com

No comments: